Sunday, May 01, 2005

A visit to the cemetery

Usually, I take my Mother to do her errands, such as grocery shopping, every Saturday morning. This week, it was different. I took her to the grocery store Friday afternoon, after I got off work.

Saturday afternoon, I took her to her church to have her photograph made for inclusion in the members' directory. She will, also, get a free eight inch by ten inch color photograph, "suitable for framing." After we left the church, we went to the Family Dollar store and bought some artificial flowers to take to the cemetery.

Sunday afternoon, after we had eaten lunch and my Mother had watched the church service on television, I prepared the flowers, dividing the four bunches that we had bought into two sprays. I then wrapped old newspapers around the stems of each spray and tied them, tightly, with twine.

We rode out to the cemetery, and, after setting up a folding chair for my Mother, I put a spray into the vase on my Father's marker and a spray into the vase on my sister's marker. My Father died four years ago. Had he lived, he would have been ninety-four years old, yesterday. My sister died nineteen years ago, when she was forty-three.

No comments: