Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina

I live in Jackson, Mississippi, which is approximately 150 miles north of the Mississippi gulf coast and 200 miles north of New Orleans, Louisiana, areas which both suffered tremendously from hurricane Katrina and her aftermath.

The company that I work for closed at eleven o'clock Monday morning, August 29. Electric power failed at my home at 1:40 in the afternoon, and the storm blew through Jackson that night.

Tuesday morning, before I became aware of the extent of the problems, I drove in to work, arriving at 7:45 am. There was no one there. Since my boss is always there by that time, I turned around and went back home.

Tuesday night was very hot, and I did not sleep well. Wednesday, I opened four windows, windows which had probably not been opened for fifteen years. There was not much of a breeze, but at least some air was circulating, and I slept a little better.

Wednesday, I telephoned the company that I work for. There were only three people there, and the boss said not to worry about coming in until Thursday, when, he said, we would try to operate as normally as possible.

Today is Thursday, September 1. The last time that I filled my car with gasoline was last Friday, and, since the fuel gauge does not work, I am becoming concerned about running out of gas. Many of the gas stations are out of gas, and there are long lines at the stations that do have a supply. A television report told of a line of 200 cars at one gas station, which didn't even have any gas. There was a 50/50 chance of it receiving a tanker truck today.

Some gas stations that do have a supply have been closed to ordinary citizens, the gas being reserved to emergency vehicles only. The stations that supplies our company vehicles, while currently out, told my boss that they were expecting a delivery of fuel today, and that they would telephone to him before the tanker got there.

Also, I got a report that a station near my home is expecting a delivery today, but, as yet, I haven't been able to reach them by telephone.

No comments: